Cleerline fiber is an innovative fiber optic cable solution that offers unique advantages over traditional fiber optic cables.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about Cleerline fiber, from what it is and how it works, to its installation process and benefits over typical fiber optic cables, so you can get the most out of this innovative technology.
What is Cleerline fiber?
Cleerline fiber also known as Cleerline SSF fiber, is a patented fiber optic cable technology that offers superior strength, durability, and flexibility compared to traditional fiber optic cables. SSF stands for “Stronger, Safer, Faster”, which encapsulates the key benefits of this technology.
The Cleerline SSF fiber cable is constructed using a special glass fiber that has been chemically strengthened, resulting in a cable that is up to 10 times stronger than traditional fiber optic cables.
Key advantages of Cleerline fiber for installers
Stronger — Cleerline SSF fibers are stronger and longer lasting than ordinary glass fibers. Cleerline fibers provide dependability and ease-of-use by having up to 10,000 times the bend capability and up to 200 times the pull power of standard fibers.
Safer — The unique design of Cleerline makes the fiber more flexible and resistant to break. The coating on the fiber avoids glass shards, making Cleerline fiber a safer and better product for technicians to handle.
Faster — The termination process is substantially simplified using Cleerline SSF. The fewer steps result in up to 80% less labor and lower tooling costs.
How does Cleerline SSF fiber function?
Cleerline SSF fiber works by utilizing a proprietary glass fiber that has been chemically enhanced. As a result, the fiber is up to 10X stronger than ordinary fiber optic cables available in the market, making it less prone to breakage and damage during installation and operation.
The chemical strengthening procedure also increases the fiber’s resistance to bending and twisting, resulting in improved flexibility and simplicity of installation.
As a result, Cleerline fiber can be used in more applications than typical fiber optic cables.
Key advantages of SSF polymer coating for installers
- The glass is protected by the patented SSF integral unique polymeric coating, which is contained inside the optical fiber’s 125 µm diameter.
- Its coating is as hard as glass but far more durable.
- It eliminates the requirement for a standard plastic “buffer” (common in fiber) that must be removed prior to termination.
- The polymer protects the glass fiber by preventing it from being directly exposed to the elements.
- Increases the bend insensitivity.
- Improved safety when working with/terminating the fiber because the polymer avoids glass fragments.
- Increases the speed and efficiency of termination.
Cleerline SSF fiber Vs. Standard Fiber
Cleerline SSF fiber has several advantages over standard fiber optic cables, including:
- Longer lifespan: Being up to ten times stronger than ordinary fiber optic cables, Cleerline SSF fiber is less prone to breakage and damage during installation and operation. This greater strength and endurance, gives Cleerline SSF fiber a longer lifespan than conventional fiber optic cables, avoiding the need for expensive replacements and repairs.
- Enhanced flexibility: More resistant to bending and twisting than traditional fiber optic cables, makes Cleerline SSF fiber easy to install, and as a result, it can be used in more applications than standard fiber optic cables.
- Improved signal quality: Cleerline SSF fiber provides enhanced signal quality and faster transmission speeds due to the use of high-quality, chemically strengthened glass fiber, resulting in a fiber that is increasingly more resistant to signal loss and distortion.
- Reduced installation time and cost: Cleerline SSF fiber features a pre-installed connector, which minimizes installation time and expense. To ensure best performance and dependability, the connectors are factory-polished and tested.
- Increased safety: Cleerline SSF fiber is less prone to breakage and damage during installation, making it safer to handle and install than typical fiber optic cables. This decreases the possibility of installer injury and property damage.
How is Cleerline fiber installed?
Cleerline fiber installation is similar to that of regular fiber optic lines, with a few important modifications. The steps for installing Cleerline SSF fiber are as follows:
1. Prepare the installation site: Confirm that the installation site is clean, dry, and clear of any obstacles or hazards.
2. Measure and cut the cable: Determine the length of cable required for the installation and cut it to the desired length.
3. Install the connector: Cleerline SSF fiber cable comes ready with a pre-installed connector, making installation fast and easy. Simply remove the connector’s protective cap and insert it into the proper receptacle.
4. Terminate the connector: Once placed, the connector must be terminated to ensure a proper connection. The video below shows how you can terminate Cleerline SSF in under a minute!
5. Test the connection: To ensure good signal quality it’s important to inspect and test the connection which can be done using a fiber optic power meter or Visual Fault Locator (VFL) and an optical light source.
6. Secure the cable: Once the connection has been inspected and validated, the cable can be secured in place with cable ties or other cable management equipment.
To get started, the Cleerline SSF-FKIT02E Fiber Optic Basic Termination Kit is an excellent choice.
- Cleaver factory-adjusted to perfectly cleave Cleerline SSF™
- Cleaver blade position easily adjustable, allowing up to 36,000 cleaves
- Visual fault locator laser operates at a visible wavelength for termination verification
- Fiber optic disposal unit allows easy collection of fiber ends and scrap
- LC adapter included with VFL
- 1 each Precision Wheel Cleaver
- 1 each Visual Fault Locator, 650 nm
- 1 each 2.5 mm to 1.25 mm SC to LC Adapter
- 1 each Aramid Scissors
- 1 each Tri-hole Fiber Strippers
- 1 each Fiber Optic Disposal Unit
- 1 each Carrying Case
In conclusion, Cleerline fiber is a game changer in the fiber optics industry, offering increased strength, flexibility, and signal quality compared to traditional fiber optic cables. As a fiber optic cable installer, using Cleerline SSF fiber can help you provide superior service to your clients while reducing installation time and costs.